Monday, 19 August 2013

The Glory and Grace of Apollo



Started as a study from a Michelangelo bozzetto I had on my desk, and I decided to make it into my sculpt - a full ecorche, whilst keeping as much of the crazy exaggerations and distortions from the original sculpt.


The name is tongue in cheek, it's a reference to Marsyas, a satyr who challenged Apollo to a music playing contest, lost after Apollo twisted the rules in his favour. The rules were that the winner could do whatever they wanted with the loser, so Apollo skinned Marsyas alive.

Renders done in zbrush, with some comp work in photoshop.

2 comments:

  1. fantastic homage; reminds me of the the traveling exhibit: the Bodies: http://www.ourbodytheuniversewithin.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. woooow. this is an amazing work. kudos!

    ReplyDelete